I started the year slapping a stranger in the face. I never would have done it had I known the wretched consequences. 2013 took this beginning as a cue. The year delivered repeated (metaphorical) blows to my face, ass, boobs, feet, you name it! I learned the hard way the reason it’s cliché to kiss someone at midnight. Never making that mistake again. Tomorrow I’m all about puckering up and keeping my hands to myself! 2013, “The Year of Slaps”, will be remembered for many things. Perhaps most notably as the year I became inextricably superstitious. Just kidding. I think.
But the bright side of this unlucky ’13 is right here. In spite (and maybe because) of life slapping New York Cliché- my alias- upside the head, this year New York Cliché- the blog- flourished. Doubled the number of visitors from 2012. Exponentially increased my number of followers to well past 2,000. Honored by recognition on Freshly Pressed not once but twice. All of which boggles my mind and makes me unabashedly giddy. The best part? I wrote 82 posts, most of which I’m proud of. Some I’m seriously proud of.
The slap that started it all.
Slappy New Year
I made up a biker boyfriend and got Freshly Pressed for the first time.
I’ll Make Up a Biker Boyfriend If It Makes Life Easier
I fell in love. Several times.
1. With Governor’s Island: The Time-Warp Haven on Governor’s Island
2. With a stranger on the street: The Passing Fantasies of a Hopeless Romantic
3. For real: Sometimes It’s a Long Trip to “I Love You”
I Learned to appreciate kilts.
My Boyfriend Is Gonna KILT Me
I had my heart broken.
“It’s Not You, It’s Me”: A Deluge of Breakup Clichés
I got a cat!
One Giant Leap Towards Cat Lady Cliché
I stood on the public streets of NYC wearing just a bra.
Bikini Season Comes Early: Out in Public in a Bra
I visited Chinatown, shared some super awkward pictures from my adolescence, and was part of a vlog.
Chinatown Adventures of a “Token White Girl”
I went to Carnegie Hall and got Freshly Pressed a second time.
The Show Must Go On: In Life and at Carnegie Hall
There you have my 13 favorite posts of 2013! And congrats Meredith on winning the give-away! Let me know your email and I’ll send you the code to claim your prize! Big thank you to everyone who entered. I have a feeling because of the great response from y’all, there will be more of this kind of thing in the new year!
Here’s to 2014. You’re only a day away. My blog resolutions for the New Year:
- Respond to comments! I suck at responding to comments, and there is really no acceptable reason for this.
- Write guests posts- if you know any one who might be interested let me know [firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Share other peoples blogs and posts that I enjoy reading. Which will also help me to:
- Consider what people want to share. Do you know how exciting it is when you guys share my posts? It’s like the best Christmas present ever. One Santa can’t exactly bring! If you like any of my favorite posts from 2013, or this post and want to make me the happiest little blogger on the world wide web, please consider sharing on Facebook or Twitter!
Happy New Year everyone! I’ll be spending mine in the most cliché place on earth to spend New Year’s Eve: Times Square! What are your NYE plans and resolutions?