I just got back from a week on the beaches of Cape May, New Jersey. While the experience is still as fresh in my mind as the sand lining my tote bag, you need to throw your bathing suit into a bag and run away to the Jersey Shore ASAP. (I mean, I’ll probably convince you right off with #1, but I’ll give you 15 more anyway!)
16 Reasons to Spend Your Summer Vacation in Cape May, NJ
1) BEAUTIFUL BEACH! You can actually swim without kicking four people in the face! The beach is so clean you can’t even find sea glass!
2) The major annoyance of the day isn’t subway delays, it’s that there’s no sea glass on the beach because some hipster collected it all for their bicycle.
3) The season’s only on-trend accessory is a floppy hat. The only makeup is sunscreen.
4) This can be your sidewalk. No slow-moving tourists, no models strutting, no business men yelling on cell phones. Hardly a person in earshot and open blue skies.
5) The biggest accomplishment of your day is building a Dr. Seuss-esque sand castle with you’re 12-year-old cousin and this feels like a grand success.
6) Realizing carriage rides exist outside of Central Park. But there is surprisingly little price difference.
7) #freethenipple when bodysurfing in waves strong enough to knock the bikini top right off your knockers.
8) To order a root beer float at a genuine soda shop. It’ll cost you less than $5 and you can sip it while spinning all the way around on the perfect cliché red stool.
9) You can be a total tourist. No one will even judge you. I know, it’s hard to believe but trust me!
10) Time to bake pies from scratch (or at least watch your cousin bake them from scratch!). With central air so that even with the oven cranked the kitchen still remains cool.
11) A bicycle ride with very little traffic and the little traffic there is yields to your every movement. It’s actually freaky. You will wish the back of your shirt read, “NYC BIKER, BITCHES”.
12) The closest thing to a skyscraper is a lighthouse.
13) Road signs for turtle crossings.
14) Honor-system flower stands on the side of the road where the whole bouquet costs what one flower would cost in the city.
15) Remember houses exist! Stay in NYC long enough and you’ll think the whole world is apartments.
Houses can be really pretty!
Really, really pretty!
That last one is a B&B, which is basically like an apartment building…maybe you can convince your landlord to give your building a paint job….
- Family. Fill the house with family, be it the New York family you’ve created or the family who created you!
I spent a whole week on the beach with 13 of my relatives. I’m a bit of a generational anomaly in my family so no one the closest person to my age was 17 years younger than me!
Even so, it was really special, really fun, and completely drama free (a family reunion anomaly)!
I’ve never spent so much time at the beach. 6 whole days and almost perfect weather the entire time! Couldn’t have asked for a better vacation!
Have you ever been to the Jersey shore? Do you have a beach vacation planned (or completed!) for this summer? If not, what’s your (less cliché!) vacation plan instead?