It’s been three days since my date. I have not heard from him since. Day Three in the land of dating is the day of reckoning. The cliché goes that you’re supposed to wait three days after a date before calling again. It’s a bit antiquated, especially in this day of third-appendage cell phones, but some people still swear by it. The games we play. Speaking of games, yes, I’m waiting for him to call me. Yet another artifact of antiquity. Yes, that means I’m hoping he calls me.
3 Reasons Why He Should Call
1. I looked great. With some coaching from Walter, (who says don’t wear jeans on a first date) I decided on a red wrap dress with a pattern that nods to the 70’s. Black boots, jean jacket to make it casual, and then the more risky nude-colored fishnet stockings. I know, just the word “fishnets” make some people cringe and visions of TACKY dance in their heads. My opinion is nude fishnets are actually really subtle and sexy. Especially with a dress that hits just above the knee and boots that hit just below it. That’s just 7 inches of exposed fishnet, that you don’t even notice at first glance because their colored to match your skin. I love them. I think boys do too. Right, Walter??
2. We discovered our families both vacation, and have for the entirety of our lives, in the exact same tiny town on the coast of Maine. This is a town usually no one has ever heard of. It was a remarkable discovery, sparking quite the conversation of deep childhood memories we both share. It was magical really. That’s worth a second date to me right there. I’d be happy to just sit and talk about New Harbor, Maine all night.
3. We met for beers, then we went across the street to an oyster bar. They had clams and oysters on the menu, neither of us had tried clams on the half shell before. So we opted for culinary adventure and got one order of each. Now it’s easy to see how the conversation of Main came up, right? We were surrounded by seafood, it’s only natural. When we finished our shellfish, which was delightful, we headed out to the streets of the West Village. Here’s where I suggested a walk. The night didn’t feel over. So we took a stroll in Washington Square Park. Standing by the fountain, the arch in the foreground, the ugly construction that’s been there for ages at our backs, he kissed me. Come on, you kissed me by a fountain! For all intents and purposes that warrants a second date, in my book.
3 Reasons Why He Shouldn’t Call
1. Something clicked as I walked from the subway to the bar where we were meeting. Shit! I’m on a date! I haven’t been on a first date in ages! And WHAM, seconds before I arrived, with no time to shake it off, I encountered this wave of nervous energy. I honestly can’t remember the last time I was nervous for a date. So it was kind of a good feeling. But it made me more awkward than I normally am. Like, repeating myself, apologizing for being 10 minutes late and rambling about how I always am late! Hahaha, sorry, it’s genetic, I get it from my mother! I can’t even blame the subway! Don’t you love conversations about tardiness? Awesome. Some times it’s like I embody the New York version of New Girl.
2. So the awkwardness didn’t put me at the top of my game. I knew he had just graduated from law school, but I didn’t know which one. It comes up that it is one in Boston.
“Oh, where’d you go?” I asked.
“In Cambridge,” he replied.
I laughed. “So Harvard. Does Harvard make you guys sign something when you’re admitted? Why does no one just come out and say ‘I went to Harvard.’?”
So he went to Harvard Law. The doubt creeps in my mind, “Am I smart enough for this guy?” A horrible thought to have in your mind on a first date. Especially one where your just kinda off your game to begin with.
3. He gave my butt a squeeze as we kissed by the fountain. Come on dude, this is A. too early to be handsy and B. too public for such a display! Don’t grab my butt on a first date. You went to Harvard, any guy with an ounce of brains should know that’s a stupid move to make.
It’s looking like I’m adding this one to my pile of dead-end dates. Ah well. But you know what? I think it was just what I needed. I had fun on a date. I’m getting back in it again. It’s the process of moving on. Next date, when ever that may be? My game will be back on. I think. I hope.